Monday, August 8, 2011

Another rough but productive week at the Croft




Well, first the sad news. I lost all the turkey babies. I am trying to not be too devastated but it is hard. I wish I had a mentor, but the list I am on is very helpful. I will be trying to fix 3 things, in particular, maybe one or more is the answer. 1. completely clear out and redo the coop area like I did for the Polish/Americauna coop. (maybe there is something not good there?) 2. make a specific baby area in the spring and get a thermometer and hydrometer (maybe the temperature and humidity is not as good as I had thought?) 3. change the feed (I was told that Dumor, which is the easiest available feed here, is not the greatest and maybe lacking in nutrients. So, we will see what happens next spring.












The good news, I now have 6 more half grown turkeys. I got a pair of Buff from a homesteader friend...after reading about them, I am very excited about them (I think I already posted a pic). I am still wanting to breed either Black Spanish or Royal Palm but decided babies are not something I want to try again this season...too heartbreaking. So, I got 4 mixed breed instead from a local guy. They are Slate/Oregon Grays. I do really like the Slate, so that will be okay for now. Two look Slate, two look Oregon Gray, so I will figure out who is boy and girl and then keep 2 and put 2 in the freezer. This means 2 turkeys and 4 geese are freezer bound later this fall. That will leave me 6 pair of turkeys for the spring (praying all goes well) and a pair or trio of Emden Geese and the 6 ducks plus the chickens, of course.



I am positive that I have a pair of Rouen ducks, and pretty sure a pair of Pekins...still trying to figure out the Cayuga. All the roos are going to the freezer in another month or so. Still trying to fatten them up, am about to give up on meat chickens.








I also just bred my rabbits again...I REALLY hope they took this time...I am getting very frustrated.



And finally, veggies...my garden is still slow but going well now. I had a friend come help me build a fence in the front yard (to help keep the chickens away from the road) and a new compost bin to keep some of the compost for my garden and not just a chicken smorgasbord.





I also have been buying local veggies from the side of the road stands (putting money into the community and getting fresh veggies). I have made a ton of sundried tomatoes from a bushel of Romas I got. I just made my (becoming famous) Blackberry Jalapeno Jelly - all local. And I roasted my first peppers and I love it...so will be heading to the farmstand again and adding regular peppers to my list for next year to grow!
















No comments:

Post a Comment