Monday, August 15, 2011

little things done...and rain...and cajeta!

I had a very busy weekend off the homestead mostly but I did get a few things done (besides normal chores).

Last night I made more roasted red peppers, got some in the olive oil in the fridge (since I am already dipping into them...LOL). I made a roasted pepper, mustard, olive oil sauce for crab cakes Friday night...came out quite yummy! I got the rest of the roasted peppers into a freezer bag. I also roasted jalapeno peppers and got them in the freezer too. I did my first batch of tomatoes, blanched, skinned and smooshed and also in the freezer. I was going to can, but since I had to get the 2nd freezer up and running because I STILL hadn't made enough room in the first freezer AND I still have chickens to put up in the next couple weeks....figured might as well freezer more stuff because jars are so darned expensive.

However, I have a project for myself tonight...I am going to attempt to make Cajeta with the last gallon of goat's milk in the freezer....then can it. Wish me luck!

Oh and we finally got rain...uh LOTS of of it! We have been getting bits here and there but now, we have buckets...supposed to rain a good portion of this week. Perhaps if there is enough dryness in between so my plants won't drown...I might get some more veggies finally!

2 comments:

  1. I <3 roasted red peppers. That's near the top of my list of "things I want to learn to make from scratch."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really couldn't believe they were so easy to make. But if you are roasting jalapenos...wear gloves! I learned the hard way!

    ReplyDelete