Friday, August 12, 2011

piggy in the freezer...

Since I have not yet made the jump to raising my own pig (but am seriously thinking about it for next year if I can get a good enough pen - super strong - built) I bought half a pig from a local farm that I believe in. Greenbranch Farm in Salisbury, on the Eastern Shore Maryland is doing what I think is good and what needs to be the future for farms...small to medium organic, raised on pasture animals. This is the first animal I have bought in bulk like this. Last year was the first time I had a big animal to put into the freezer (the deer my friend gave me and Shawn and I processed). The venison is pretty much all gone but now I have half a pig in my freezer plus lots of veggies I have been putting up recently. I have some bison from the local farm here too and a few bird parts left from this winter. My own chickens will be going in the freezer soon, I am thinking 2 or 3 weeks...a day that is cool and on the weekend when I have a little time. So, I am feeling good going into the fall and winter with food. Hopefully I can add to it with my own venison and geese (raised and hunted) later in the winter too!

No comments:

Post a Comment