Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The heat and sad mystery

Well, the heat is something that lots of folks are talking about and those of us with feather and fuzzy heads that live outside are particularly anxious. Luckily my featherheads and rabbits survived the 108 degrees of the weekend and I am extremely thankful. I spent an hour and a half alone on Friday morning trying to prepare everyone...getting extra water filled, setting up an extra fan in the barn, one on the rabbits, one on the chickens and turkey coop...both of which are inside and open barn but no access to a pen at the moment (that will change as birds get older and bigger but while I have babies, it isn't possible for me to open them to the pens). I had frozen water bottles for the rabbits, as well as the fan. It was rough but everyone made it. I am not looking forward to that kind of heat again but it is supposed to get really hot the end of the week again. So, after doing some reading, I read about someone using frozen treats...I will be doing this on Friday...for feather and fuzzies.

Sadly, I did lose most of my turkey babies, I honestly don't know what is happening to them, they are just "disappearing". I have sealed up as many holes as I can find...I did fine little round holes and I am wondering if I have a snake or something...some of the eggs in the coops have been missing too. I am down to 2 turkey babies as of this morning. :-( As soon as these babies are ready to release to the pen, I am doing a full revamp of this coop...somehow I have to seal up all the possible ways of digging in and out.

I do have some major improvement projects lined up for this week...pics and details as they get done!

EDIT: Well, when the last turkey baby died (the last two I found where I saw them hanging out the night before - looking perfectly fine). I had a couple buckets and larger waterer in the coop (high sided bin that the babies couldn't climb into that I refreshed with water everyday but didn't move too often). Spring drank from the large waterer and the buckets were nesting boxes. I cleared all those out and cleared the bedding out and found 2 of the babies wedged behind the waterer and the buckets...pretty much under the barn wall. *sigh* So, yeah, it is being reformed like the fancy coop was. Needs this to keep winter drafts out anyway...the birds just love digging the edges of the barn. So, door is opened now and all turkeys hanging together.

No comments:

Post a Comment