Friday, September 2, 2011

busy time of year but so glad it is starting to cool down

I have been busier than a one armed paper hanger as they say...but it is all pretty good (except my car being in the shop again).

I am working on getting the rest of the homestead Fall ready and into Winter ready because I know it will be here before I know it especially now that school has started. Irene helped get some started! On top of that I have the light up in the barn but my ladies have already slowed their egg production... :-( Hopefully it will pick up again. I have been reading alot on my forums about feed.

I am on an all local (mostly), paleo/primal diet meaning I don't eat many grains and I eat only meat I raise or from local organic farms (pig and bison mostly) and as much of my veggies that I grow or I get from side of the road family stands. I just switched my dog to that type of diet now too...she gets all the "extra" stuff from my meat birds (hopefully soon rabbit) and I add bison heart and things like that plus some veggies, my birds' eggs and yogurt. Now, it is time to look into reducing the amount of commercial feed for my birds and rabbits. To continue in the lifestyle I am trying for and to save money. It seems that sprouting grain is a good way to go and helps in egg production. So, I am embarking on this new thing this weekend. I have some seed I will try this weekend and in a week I will be going to my local grainery and getting much cheaper layer feed that I currently get at TSC and a big bag of oat seed and barley seed. I'll post how it goes!

Meanwhile...lots more to do this coming weekend including freezer farm time for half the meat chickens, making soap, cheese and yogurt! I so wish I had my own goats and cow but until then I have local supply luckily! I have lots of pics to share from this past week but will post them separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment