Monday, September 26, 2011

busy day yesterday but can we dry out a bit? PLEASE

I got a good amount done yesterday and am hoping for a bunch more today...enjoying a bit stronger coffee with lots of yummy cream so I can have extra strong coffee to make the pumpernickel bread shortly. But first...can we dry out PLEASE?

The homestead is a disaster and I just spent days cleaning and organizing things not long ago! There are flies galore! There are cows across the street but I believe the biggest culprit is the duck/geese pen. They will be moving to their new area in the next month or so (just need to coordinate schedules with friends' helping me) but they have been pretty good where they are even through the hurricane. Well, it is a muddy disgusting mess right now and no amount of straw is helping (and I am out). And flies...ugh...disgusting! The geese stay pretty white no matter how yuck it usually is out...they are a muddy mess now.

AND...fleas, I have had no issues with this all yea and now...fleas. Last year when it got like this we had a small problem. My flea meds are out because we are heading to winter and honestly, with my older cats, I really hate using it. My Trollie girl has been on it because her buddy, my brother's dog tends to be a flea magnet. UGH! Trying to get the harvest in, the freezer full and tons canned with these two issues has been a bit of a miserable task.

Anyway, I did get some done yesterday after a meeting and then errands took WAY longer than expected. So, late afternoon I started on chores....and letting the Ball blue book explode in the kitchen (stolen from my homesteading blogger friend OFG - I really like the image it invokes!).

I got lots of applesauce canned (and some eaten). I have gotten quite a bit of apples from a really cool local farm...they have seconds for a decent price. Super sweet great flavor applesauce. I got couple quarts done the other day plus enough to eat for breakfast the past 2 weeks.
Yesterday:
- 4 pints (2 plain, 2 cinnamon cardamom)
- 6 half pints (cinnamon cardamom)
- 2 quarts of juice (mostly for cooking)

I also went pumpkin picking. A local place I really like grows amazing big pumpkins that most people like plus the pumpkins I like! The woman remembers me specifically for that. I like the old fashioned long neck pumpkins for roasting. So, I picked a few of those (noticed lots still getting ready to ripen so should be more in another month!), a small hubbard and got some spaghetti squash and butternut squash. I got the butternut cut up and will be making apple butternut squash soup tonight to go with pumpkin bread and probably chicken breast (hoping to get a couple meaties in the fridge tonight).

Okay, this is getting long and coffee is done...more later with how much I get through my list!

1 comment: