Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Spring! eggs and such

Well, I can't seem to keep up with everything...especially here. School is just crazy, meaning I am crazy and stressed. Definitely a difficult semester. And, of course, now it is time to get moving on homesteading stuff. All the girls have started laying like crazy and I now have tons of eggs!

My turkey hens are setting on eggs (hopefully they are viable and they produce babies!). I have goose and duck eggs...hopefully viable (have seen the drakes doing their jobs but haven't seen anything going on with the Geese, so...we shall see). The duck and goose eggs are going in the incubator in the next couple days...just need to get some time to get it all set up!

I had to separate the toms because they are trying to kill eachother, so Mr. Royal is in with the ducks and geese with a hen to keep him company (the black hen from the slate/oregon mix). The two greys from that mix are still with Big Tom, Spring, and Mr. and Mrs. Buff. Mr. Black from the mix group is in a crate now...ready to go to freezer farm soon. All the hens have a reprieve for the moment...need bigger ratio of hens to toms and I am keeping all the toms except Mr. Black...though I need a Mrs. Royal since my first hen disappeared. :-(

Gardening is starting to happen and with that a new fencing that will keep chickens off porch and keep the two Cayuga drakes in the garden.

Hopefully I will be able to report more progress soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment